GREETING: Silamat Mandung

Bidayuh (Bi-Dayuh) or Land Dayaks is one of the minority ethnic in Sarawak. They are the second largest Dayak ethnic group in Sarawak after the Iban (Sea Dayaks). The name Bidayuh it self mean "the people of land". "Bi" mean "people" or "orang" and "Dayuh" mean "Land". Despite grouped into one race, they use different language and dialect. the Bidayuh language can be divide into 3 major language that is Bukar-Sadong, Singai-Jagoi and Biatah. From this 3 major language it can be divided into many more complicated dialects. That is why although they the share the same races, its hard to understand each other. Normally to communicate with each other from different ethnic groups, the Bidayuhians use "Bahsa sarawak" (Melayu Sarawak) Malays or English.
Sumber: wikipedia


Just for reminder

This is a Bidayuh bukar sadong (Serian) - Malay / English translation. All of this word are use by the bidayuh from our village, that is Kpg Batu Bedang. Although this is a Bidayuh Bukar Sadong dialect, some of the word maybe different depends on the kampung's. But I believe all of Bidayuh from Serian understand this word.

Cheers!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Song with translation

Kampung Love by Acid Rain


Siti mah kisah wang aku masih bicinta
This is the story while I'm still in love

Dengan indi dayung samah binua
With one girl from the same village

ami bijanggi ira masau mende bisindi
We promise to marry and live together

so this is what she said to me one day

I,I, I, I love you very bageg
I,I, I, I love you very strong

I, I, I, I kiss you bayuh sade
I, I, I, I kiss you not enough

Why, why, why, why I miss you tiap ngare
Why, why, why, why I miss you every night

My, my love is just for you

Aku pun geram so I went to Melaya
I was furious so I went to Melaya

Ira ngumpul duit tinan bitunang
Want to raise money for engage

wang aku meri I feel very very sad
When I returned home I feel very very sad

Ngin my kampung love has got married
Because my Kampung love has got married

Enjoy!

Siti mah - This is
Kisah - Story
Wang - while/when
Aku - I
bicinta - In love
Dengan - with
Dayung - Girl/Women
Samah - same
Binua/kampung - Village
Ami - we
Bijanggi(Janggi) - Promise
Ira - Want
Masau - Marry a girl (menuh/bibanuh - Marry a men)
Mende - Live (other meaning is silent)
Bisindi - Together
Bageg - Strong
Bayuh - Not
Sede - Enough
Tiap - Every
Ngaru - Night
Pun - Even,Was,too
Geram - Furious
Ngumpul - Raise/collect
Tinan - Use
Bitunang - Engaged
meri - return
Ngin - Because




2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for putting this resource online. I was wondering actually, could you tell me the word for 'go visiting', I'm actually looking for the singai-jagoi word (if indeed it is different)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure about the singai-jagoi word. Ours, bukar-sadong "go visiting" mean "Ngabang" or just "Bi-siting" :)

    ReplyDelete